Sunday, February 17, 2013

Owlhoots

It's all the same, only the names will change: and this week of training led to some events that should have humbled yours truly, but did nothing of the sort... I'm an outlaw!

Tuesday - Everyday it seems we're wasting away, so instead of wasting, I gunslinged my norm: White Dot down the switchbacks. The trails were hard packed and it was a great run, especially to finish with blue skies showing

Another place where the faces are so cold, an I'm planning on hitting up the Northern VT Snow Shoe Challenge and I'd drive all night just to get back home from dominating, if I am so fortunate.

Wednesday - But seriously, I'm a cowboy, on my own horsepower I ride, I'm wanted dead or alive... Marcus and I hustled out to Magic Mtn for another night run. The conditions were slick and icy, but I'm a bad ass, so I wasn't too worried about it.
We got to the top with daylight showing and explored a few side trails. I was planning on a long late night and Sometimes I sleep, sometimes it's not for days, but we managed to head down just as it was getting black.
Took a gnarly cussing spill on some unseen ice and jacked my elbow badly, Hurt like a cuss (for a second, then I remembered I'm an outlaw).

Thursday - i was thinking about the people I have met, And the people I meet always go their separate ways, the lifers stick around forever. Today was a day that I focused on my lifers and fellow outlaws, and thought it would be bad ass to attack the switchbacks to start the run. Awesome idea and a gnarly fun and fast run... Sometimes you tell the day, what the situation is going to be, today I was an outlaw rolling though the hills of VT...

Friday - Voltroned with Greg in Pisgah, and was fortunate that at times when you're alone all you do is think, I had a bro to discuss it all with. Great run that beat the snowstorm by a few hours, hell yea!!!

Saturday - Holy snow! Awesome for rolling on the snow shoes. I was really loving the trails the way they were but I'll take the snow.
Hauled it down to Pisgah again with Greg to conspire about our upcoming races. The snow was deep and made for tough conditions...

Sunday - I walk these streets, a loaded ego on my back I play for keeps, 'cause I might but I'm always making it back! I headed up to Smugglers Notch for the Northern VT snow shoe challenge. It is a 5 miler on XC trails and with all the fresh droppings, should be eventful. It is also the VT State Championships, and I have to bag the title.
I noticed a dude, David LaPorho, was trotting around and remembered him from VTCity Marathon. He ran well, for a Canadian it was impressive, and beat me by a few. I heard he was a bad ass on the snow shoes and was excited and ready to take a shot and take him down.
Then I hear some important info for my race plan: The dude is a world champion snow show racer, mother cusser won worlds! This made me think a bit about my race plan, but not too much thought... I been everywhere, and I'm standing tall, so I wasn't too worried.
Most of Canada showed up for the race, all 29 or so countrymen, and it was an international. I was banking on the facts of, I've seen a million faces an I've rocked them all, and figured that would do.
Holy cuss, I was epically, surprised. I led the start of the race and at about half a mile, LaPorho took the lead, by 1000m he put a minute on me and kept going. Dude must be on some kinds of jungle juice, bc I'm no bum... He went wild, and ended up beating me by 6 cussing cuss cuss suck my cuss minutes! He was Inspector Gadget and popped the snow shoes into jet powered rocket skis and blasted.
I was asked if it was humbling, cuss no, it was ridiculous. All in all, I was still VT sate Snow Shoe champ as getting beat by a world champ seems about right. I feel that's the only comp I have... Bc, I'm an outlaw, and a cowboy, on a steel Dion's and La Sportiva's I ride and I'm wanted dead or alive. I'm a cowboy, I got the night on my side, always I'm wanted dead or alive, And I ride, I still drive and always always wanted dead or alive...

No comments:

Post a Comment