Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Elliot Ness

This week was awesome. I was on school break this week and I was loving some of my ideas I had.

Monday - following yesterday's run of 22 I banged out two solid efforts. I disapperated Magic Mtn for some sold efforts. The snow was packed, the sky was bright blue and the air was cold: conditions were a huge success.
This time around I dropped into the Magic Mtn ski trails and cuss me, they are wildly steep. The morning session was amazing and the climbs were unforgiving, which was awesome.
In the afternoon, Boj and Goupil came out for wings and we ran before hand the usual. I was able to nail down over 3 hours of effort today, after a 22 mile day, cuss yea!

Tuesday - Greg did not have vacation this week so I Voltroned at his place for a run. The conditions were still great where all we needed were our trail shoes. I laced and zipped the La Sportiva GTX which keeps my feet dry as can be. I can't stand having wet feet. We did light work and had an awesome run.

Thursday - today I woke up crazy early (for me) and headed to Camel's Hump Mtn in Huntington VT. I have been yapping with Nick Yardley of JulboUSA and he was telling me the conditions were ideal. Sounded awesome, so I was in.
As I got within 30 miles of the mountain I could see a snowstorm rolling in around the mountain. The roads got very bad on the highway, but once off and only 7 miles away, the weather started to clear up. (once again, so I thought). I got out and right on the trail. I took the Burrows Trail, which is shorter but with the weather, it totally turned out to be the right decision.
Up I climbed and it was amazing. I broke through tree line and instantly the weather changed. The trees gave way more shelter than I could have imagined, so I made my summit trip quick. The wind was wild, the snow was wicked and it was epic.

Friday - shagged out an easy 5 at Ledge Rd in the morning before my afternoon run with Greg and Najem in Pisgah. We discussed outer space on this run and all the coolness that is out there we don't know about. Black holes, once you go black you'll never come back...

Sunday - SMH, I was very content with the way my week was going, but felt some guilt not racing the DHJones 10 miler. My week was epic so any "fast" or "good" times were out the window half way up Camel's Hump, but I said I was going to do, and really, I didn't have anything else to do.
I met Greg and Goupil in Brattleboro just in time to catch the ride down. As soon as I got in the care I regretted the decision, but the closer we got, the less I cared and focused on having a solid day of hard work. Don't get me wrong, I raced as hard as I could.
The course was told to me to be "very hilly" and/or "the hills are wicked tough," this was good to hear, bc it made me really focus on running smart. I'd rather feel coherent at 8 then ruin my race at 3 miles. The good news was I pictured it way harder (it was tough) so picturing the worst made the hills a non-factor mentally. Physically they were challenging, but over quickly (as quick as I could).
Overall I had a good/great day. My place was way back of the leaders, but I was happy with my effort based on my fitness. I statues within myself and had a day that was steps in the right direction.
I then came home and ran 90 minutes. One cuss of a way to end the week!
Tip your waitress...

















No comments:

Post a Comment